Sunday, February 24, 2008

Meet the Fantasy Hurler team

As soon as I can figure out the best way to post the entire outcome of tonight's 12-team, 5x5 Fantasy Bloggers League draft, I will do so. In the meantime, here's the team I'll be fielding on behalf of this very site (with the round I drafted everyone in parantheses, starting with Miguel Cabrera, the draft's eighth-overall pick):

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia (13)
C Ryan Doumit (20)
1B Justin Morneau (3)
2B Brandon Phillips (2)
SS Edgar Renteria (10)
3B Miguel Cabrera (1)
CI Ryan Garko (16)
MI Felipe Lopez (22)
OF Eric Byrnes (5)
OF Aaron Rowand (14)
OF Michael Cuddyer (17)
OF Billy Butler (18)
OF Jack Cust (21)
DH Carlos Pena (6)

P C.C. Sabathia (4)
P Rich Hill (8)
P James Shields (9)
P John Maine (12)
P Oliver Perez (15)
P Scott Baker (23)
P Dave Bush (26)
P Takashi Saito (7)
P Rafael Soriano (11)

BN Mark Teahen (24)
BN Jamie Walker (19)
BN Tom Gordon (25)

Overall ... well ... I'm kind of in love with my team right now. Not that it doesn't have its weaknesses, 'cause it surely does. My outfield in uniformly terrible, which is what happens when you start five outfielders and don't draft a second one until round 14. I really need Butler or Teahen to explode this year. Things are also very iffy behind the plate, where I have two guys who might start at catcher this year, might start somewhere else, might platoon ... or might ride pine all season. (Or even worse, Doumit find himself in a hospital bed while Saltalamacchia finds himself in Triple-A.)

But I think my team is incredibly balanced and, barring a run of injuries, should compete in all 10 categories. Byrnes, Phillips and Lopez will take care of steals. I've got Saito and and Soriano to close, with Walker and Tom Gordon available if needed (especially if Brad Lidge's injury makes Gordon the man in Philly). I'm expecting a double-digit finish in strikeouts with Sabathia-Hill-Shields-Maine-Perez as my top five. Yeah, I'll be happy starting this lineup on opening day.

Some other notes from the draft:

I would have taken Holliday in the first round, but he was drafted right in front of me. I would have taken Sizemore in the second, but he was drafted right in front of me. Cabrera and Phillips were my second choices. Morneau in the third might have been a bit of a stretch; he seems more like a fourth-rounder. But I was set on a power-hitting first baseman there. I planned on drafting Geovany Soto in the 10th ... and then promptly forgot. (Hope an AL-bound-once-more Renteria works out, as I took him there instead.)

Jack Cust's batting average scares the crap out of me. I'm worried Carlos Pena's 46 home runs were a fluke. I intended to draft Broxton to go along with Saito, but that handsome bastard Tony Bartlett from Fantasy Baseball Mafia screwed me by taking him in the 17th round, seven picks before he would have been mine. Ah, well. Them's the roto breaks.

2 comments:

Bob Taylor said...

BTW, Mike -- The Felipe Lopez and Jamie Walker picks were pulled directly from your Draft Guides.

Everybody's reading those here at the Hurler, right?

Mike Bock said...

I like the team, though I haven't gone through and analyzed the draft yet.