Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Nightmare on (Huston?) Street

I know my money-league draft is getting close because last night the dreams started. In this one, I was at the mall on draft day and my car broke down in the parking lot. No way to get home in time! Luckily, I had my laptop with me, so I fired it up and found a local wireless signal. Except something was still wrong. The draft interface wasn't working properly. In the first round, with time running out, I typed in C-A-B-R to do a search on Miguel Cabrera, who I intended to take. Except, for some reason, C-A-B-R brought Jarrod Saltalamacchia into my queue just as time expired. As a result, Saltalamacchia was auto-drafted for me in the first round.

No problem, I thought. I can get this draft back on track. But things got worse from there. My draft interface started fritzing out on me. Instead of showing player rankings, it was now displaying TV listings and movie times. No matter where I clicked, I couldn't find a list of draftable players. The computer auto-drafted for me again in the second round -- some guy I never heard of -- and then again the third. Using the chat box, I started pleading with my league mates. "This doesn't count, people!" I frantically typed. "I can't draft! We have to do this again next weekend!"

And then it was over. Awake with a cold sweat. My draft is still 16 days away. How many more of these fantasy nightmares will I have to suffer?

7 comments:

Mike Bock said...

That depends. Do you still think Peavy should be drafted before Santana?

Bob Taylor said...

Clean out yer ears, Bock! I never said Peavy should be drafted before Santana. I just said you'd get better value drafting Peavy in the second round than you would taking Santana fifth or sixth overall. I don't understand this line of thinking that Santana is going to be so much better than the rest of the elite NL pitchers.

Hoodlumman said...

I had a real life nightmare happen last year in fantasy football... where I proudly drafted Adrian Peterson in the 4th round...

... the one on the Chicago Bears.

True story. Still makes me sad.

heidi said...

Ouch, hoodlumman. We'll see if someone makes a similar mistake with Ryan Z. Braun this year.

Bob Taylor said...

I had a real life nightmare happen last year in fantasy football when I proudly drafted Cedric Benson.

That's it. There is no twist ending.

Don Ford said...

I had the fantasy nightmare last night! My draft board had a mind of its own and I started drafting guys like Chan Ho Park in the 12th round!!!!


When I woke up this morning I was disturbed by the dream then I remembered this post and started laughing. I had to come back here and post a comment!

Mike Bock said...

*shudder*