Monday, April 7, 2008

Bloggers League week 1: Sucking hind tit

So, at the end of week one, I find myself in last place in the Fantasy Bloggers League I'm playing in. I could write a detailed analysis of every little thing that's gone right or wrong, but there's really no point in doing so until I make up some ground in key pitching categories. The fact is I'm in last because Tom Gordon blew up in my face on Opening Day and C.C. Sabathia, John Maine and Dave Bush have gotten absolutely rocked in four combined starts. As a result, my team ERA sits at 5.12 (good for two points) while my WHIP is at 1.48 (which nets me two more). Sadly, I'm faring even worse in other categories (a pathetic 1.5 points in steals and runs), but pitching was supposed to be this team's strength, so my early problems there hurt far worse.

Still, it is only week one. Marathon not a sprint, yadda, yadda. And my core starters -- Sabathia, Shields, Hill, Ollie Perez -- should be fine. (Sabathia better be fine.) Not much I can do but sit around and wait for that ERA and WHIP to come down. Although I did replace Dave Bush with Paul Maholm. (Ignore Maholm's first-start ERA -- he only threw two bad pitches that whole game. One just happened to result in a Mike Jacobs grand slam.)

Offensively, I've gone on the, uh, offensive. Yesterday, I dropped fill-ins Jose Bautista and Jorge Cantu and starter Jason Bartlett for Jose Lopez, Scott Hairston and Jeff Keppinger. Those three are "hot right now" guys, but if just one of them goes on to have a breakout year, it could help immeasurably. (I also grabbed Ryan Church earlier in the week when Michael Cuddyer went on the DL.)

Meanwhile, a few of the guys I drafted are actually working out as planned. Ryan Doumit in the 20th round looks more and more like a stroke of genius every day, and Billy Butler's piled up 10 hits already. (But when are the home runs coming?!) Those little victories, however, seem tempered by the fact that my first-round draft pick, Miguel Cabrera, is hitting .111 with one RBI. Ugh ...

The standings after one week:

1. Fake Teams 81.5
2. RotoRob 78.5
3. Roto Authority 75
4. Crooked Pitch 69
5. Rotonomics 67
6. Brock for Broglio 62.5
7. Fantasy Baseball Mafia 61.5
8. Fantasy Gameday 61
9. MVN (2) 60
10. Razzball 58
11. MVN (1) 55
12. Fantasy Hurler 51

3 comments:

Mike Bock said...

Jose Lopez and Keppinger, fine. but Scott Hairston? Why get rid of Cantu? Is it because of the Wes Helms acquisition? I didn't see that coming, but it seems awfully early to dump Jorge.

Also, I've seen your pitching staff. Dave bush was what, the seventh best pitcher on it? Why do you even need Maholm? Is there a 2000 innings pitched maximum?

Most of your guys are just starting slowly. Hang in there.

Bob Taylor said...

1,500 max, nine P slots.

I'm carrying 10 pitchers, two closers and these eight starters -- Sabathia, Hill, Shields, Maine, Perez, Bonser, Baker and Maholm. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

As for Cantu, I don't need him and Keppinger. I feel better about Keppinger.

Mike Bock said...

Eh. Your lineup looks fine. I think you're just off to a horrendous start. Brian Fuentes available? Your bullpen looks pretty ragged.