Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sabathia: Start or sit?

C.C.W.T.F. Sabathia, he of the 13.50 ERA and expanding girth, takes the mound tonight against the Kansas City Royals, a team that has had problems scoring runs lately and that Sabathia has found success against in the past. It feels like a bounce-back game for Sabathia.

And yet, in my bloggers league, I've successfully lowered my ERA from 5.51 to 4.83 over the last five days. (I've actually moved up to the two in that category. Whoo-fucking-hoo.) And I am scared shitless that C.C. is just going to blow it right the hell back up. Right this very minute, I've got him on my bench, and though my brain tells me to start him -- he's the reigning Cy Young winner! this madness can't last! -- my gut says make him first prove that he can still pitch.

So how about you guys? You starting or sitting C.C. today?

13 comments:

Eric said...

Tough call on CC. If you sit him and he excels then you're pissed. If you start him and he sucks, then you're pissed. Given it is just one start, I'd sit him.

If he sucks then you feel great. If he is good, then you feel better knowing your 3rd round pick isn't a bust.

Ross said...

I sat him for the week.

I figured he'd do ok against KC, but worried he'd have trouble against the Yanks.

If I'm right it's a wash, so no harm done. If I'm wrong and he's bad both games, I'm a genius. Good both games and I'll probably be looking for the nearest ledge.

calibob02 said...

I don't have C.C., but I'm wondering if I should start Meche, who I do have, against CC.

Tim said...

I'd lean toward starting him, just because its the Royals, but Eric is right. You may as well sit him and if he pitches great than at least you know he's getting back on track.

If he can't locate his fastball though forget about it. Also heard he hasn't been throwing his slider much, which is his out pitch.

Mike Bock said...

I'm starting him, though with much trepidation. Is the only start my team is getting from him.

David said...

Yeah, this is a really tough call. I agree that C.C. Sabathia will turn it around, and this seems like it might be the kind of game where that happens. However, it's still a considerable gamble. If you are really not in a position to take him blowing up your ERA, I would err on the side of caution and keep him on the bench.

Anonymous said...

fuck Cleveland. trade his ass ASAP.

Bob Taylor said...

There ain't no way I'm fucking Cleveland. I'd be much too concerned about catching an STD.

Mike Bock said...

In Soviet Russia, Cleveland fucks you.

Bob Taylor said...

All right, the hell with it -- I'm starting him. But you no help me now, I say fuck you, C.C.

Mike Bock said...

I can't follow the game anymore. It's too nerve wracking.

I'll turn off the computer and check in about an hour. I'm sure everything will go according to plan.

Bob Taylor said...

Six strikeouts, zero earned runs after two!!!! It's like Christmas in April, and Santa's bringing strippers!!!!

Bob Taylor said...

C.C. is cruising, baby! C-R-U-I-S-I-N-G! Oh, thank the fantasy gods!