Saturday, June 7, 2008

Fantasy Errata

-- I know what some of you are thinking: Oliver Perez on the road tomorrow at Petco is the best matchup you could ever hope for. Why not start him? Well, that's actually what I thought about Perez in San Francisco. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

-- After having a few 0-for-3s mixed in there and not having homered in about nine games, Carlos Quentin came alive with a three-run shot. Mini-slump is over. There were seven home runs at Cellular Field today (or whatever the name is now). I'm thinking the weather might be heating up out there.

-- Rick Ankiel sounds like he's got a host of things going wrong with him physically. I'm not sure if you can still sell high, nor am I terribly sure that you want to buy low.

-- Time to play detective. Sidney Ponson was cut by the Rangers yesterday, supposedly over a "clubhouse incident" that was "unprofessional" and "unbecoming a teammate." No further explanation is given. Now, Ponson isn't a Cy Young candidate, but beggars can't be choosers, and he was eating innings at a semi-effective rate. On that same day, Michael Young announces that he broke his finger weight-lifting but intends to play through it. Hmmm. I've been weight-training for over a decade now, and I can tell you that isn't particularly common among experienced lifters.

Michael Young botched a couple plays in Sidney Ponson's last start (although only one was charged an error). Ian Kinsler and Milton Bradley added their own errors, all of which contributed to a bad outing for poor Ponson. Michael Young, team captain that he is, may have been the target of Sir Sidney's wrath. I'm just speculating here. Michael Young owners are likely very unhappy with this development considering the extraordinarily shallow SS pool this year. (Yuniesky Betancourt is probably your best option.) There are no Ponson owners.

-- Felix Hernandez: manageable pitch count, pulled after six shutout innings. I'm liking this trend. Buy low.

-- Jorge Cantu and Mike Jacobs are becoming a great platoon for me. I benched Jacobs against a lefty, and Cantu promptly hits two dingers. That gives him 10 on the season, and he's now entrenched in the Florida three-spot. I hate to say it, but I think he's a much better bet going forward than Jacobs. I may have missed all over the place this year, but I've been preaching Cantu's name since March and that's looking like it may be the best piece of advice I gave all pre-season.

-- And the Verlander spiral continues. Unlike C.C., I wouldn't buy low unless you're basically giving up no one of consequence.

-- The Atlanta bullpen is a disaster area.

-- Randy Wolf at home: sub 3.00 ERA, sub 1.00 WHIP. On the road: well over 5.00 ERA, well over 1.45 WHIP. Should be owned in all leagues, and managed accordingly.

-- I'd pick up Taylor Buchholz in any league where you're not stocked with established closers. Fuentes has to be moved, or the Colorado Rockies are just a horribly run organization.

-- Ryan Garko: time to pick him up off the waiver wire.

-- Melvin Mora has homered three times in four days. You may have missed your chance to catch lightning in a bottle, particularly if you were a Zimmerman owner scrounging around a few days ago.

-- Manny Ramirez took exception to Kevin Youkilis's histrionics after bad at-bats. The irony. Of Manny Ramirez. Being upset at anyone's. Reactions after plate appearances. Mind ... overwhelmed. Blargh.

1 comment:

Bob Taylor said...

Yeah, I jumped on Garko in my money league yesterday morning. I agree with Mike. Pick him up before someone else does!