Friday, June 6, 2008

Let's throw a Tea(hen) party!

Coming into this season I was super stoked on a trio of young Royals hitters -- Mark Teahen, Billy Butler and Alex Gordon. I nabbed Butler in two leagues and Teahen in one, but missed out on Gordon. It's really too bad I didn't miss out on all of them everywhere since it's now obvious that being high on these three guys worked out about as well as being high on Bush's post-war strategy. Gordon has been average at best; Teahen and Butler complete busts with Butler now back in Triple-A after managing only a single, solitary big-league home run this season.

And yet after being decimated by injuries in my bloggers league, I found myself in need of an OF/CI last week ... and there was Teahen on the waiver wire. (This is actually the league I drafted Teahen in only to cut him early on, which I shortly thereafter decided was really fucking stupid. He was claimed off waivers, but that manager eventually tired of his continual suckage.) So, feeling desperate, I put Teahen on the Fantasy Hurler roster for the second time this year.

His first day in my lineup, last Friday, he was 2-for-4 with two runs. Nice start. Saturday, he went 1-for-4 and scored again. After an 0-fer on Sunday and an off-day Monday, he clubbed a two-run homer from my bench on Tuesday. I stuck him back in my lineup, and he hit another home run on Wednesday. Yesterday, he was 2-for-4 with another home run, and now I'm wondering if Teahen is finally going to deliver the numbers I thought he might when I was talking up him and his Royal buddies back in March. I definitely approve of the three home runs in as many days and am keeping fingers crossed that this is the beginning of a real hot streak. I also wouldn't mind if they guy started stealing the occasional base. He only has one so far this year, but is fairly speedy and stole 13 last season. He might be worth a pickup in your league, especially if it's a daily league where his dual eligibility comes in handy.

3 comments:

Bob Taylor said...

Hey, he did steal a base today! No production, though.

Mike Bock said...

Teahen is no Cantu.

Bob Taylor said...

Ugh, don't remind me. I benched Cantu on my bloggers league team yesterday for some reason.

Oh, yeah -- that reason is that I'm a fuckin' idiot.