Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Shaun Marcum is the new Jeremy Guthrie

Marcum must lay awake at night, wondering how someone who's pitched as well as he has this year is currently stuck on five wins. He wasn't involved in the decision again today, despite giving up only one run (and striking out nine) over seven innings pitched. He was going against Felix Hernandez, so if this was an isolated incident, we'd let it slide. But check out these other Marcum outings from this year:

6/6 -- 7 IP, 1 R, no decision
5/31 -- 7 IP, 2 R, no decision
5/12 -- 8 IP, 0 R, no decision
4/26 -- 7 IP, 2 R, loss
4/10 -- 7 IP, 1 R, no decision

Those aren't just quality starts; those are excellently pitched baseball games. Sometimes his hitters didn't come through for him. Sometimes his bullpen blew it for him. But either way, I don't know how the guy can even stand to look at his teammates right now. As a Marcum owner in two leagues, it's but a thrill to watch him dominate AL hitters this year. (His ERA is down to 2.31 while his WHIP is at 1.03) But this lack of wins is killing me as well. In my money league, out of 14 teams, I have the 10 in ERA and the seven in WHIP ... but only one goddamn point in wins. (And I'm three behind the guy with the two, for crying out loud.)

I know who I blame. I blame all Toronto players not named Shaun Marcum.

No comments: