Monday, October 6, 2008

What next?

It's nice to finally sit back and watch baseball as a fan rather than some human StatTracker®. I'll go on record as saying I am a Yankee fan rooting for the Tampa Bay Rays and the Los Angeles Dodgers to make it to the World Series. I don't know what it is that makes watching Manny's antics more enjoyable now than when he was with the Red Sox. I guess the fact that he will be a Yankee next season has something to do with it, ha.

A quick "shout out" to Joe Torre for knocking the Cubs out of the playoffs. Note to Cubbies fans: Better luck next century. Being ousted from the playoffs couldn't have happened to a nicer guy than Carlos Zambrano. I guess all of that chest pounding, Heaven pointing and God thanking wasn't enough. Pay close attention Francisco Rodriguez.

But I digress. Back to my original question of "What Next?" I think Rogers Hornsby said it best:
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
What types of articles would you like to see during these "down" months? Articles will be so much easier to write in February and March but what to do, what to do in the meantime?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll go on record saying that I knew you were a Yankees fan by your douchebag analysis of any Sox player. For the record, the Dodgers won't beat Philly (sorry) and the Rays have their work cut out for them. Manny will definately be on the Yankees next year, and you will regret it by July. Obvs you haven't learned your lesson yet - you can't buy success, you have to develop it. the Yankees are looking at 3rd or 4th place again next year. Enjoy, Sucka.

Daniel Aubain said...

@ anonymous

In the realm of fantasy, I owned Manny in six leagues, traded for Youk in two, drafted Papelbon once and used late round picks on Lester and Delcarmen.

I regrettably drafted Posada once and owned Damon and Giambi for portions of the season.

I may have bashed Wakefield in my streaming column but only because he was garbage down the stretch.

I'm able to separate fantasy from fandom when it comes to being a Yankee fan as evident by me winning six of my ten leagues this year. But as a fan, go Rays!

Kevin said...

Wow, anon, angry much? You got a good player in Bay out of that deal, but I'm certain you had your head planted firmly up Manny's behind during their first run, so just shut the hell up....

As a Chicagoan, this postseason was filled with the big suck, but the White Sox didn't have a chance at the Rays anyway. It was a bonus for them to even be playing those games, and I hope the Rays paste the Red Sox and shut up all those Boston blowhards, starting with anonymous.

As for the Cubs, I think this city is still in shock. That was a train wreck of a series, but I'm cautious to give Torre too much credit. This is the same guy that was still trying to find at bats for Andruw Jones and Juan Pierre until he was bailed out by the Manny trade. Ned Colletti is a big part of that as well, am I am mystified why he is still employed. I can't see the Phils bringing enough pitching to this series, especially if the Dodger pitchers' sinkers are working. If they aren't however, look out. That left handed dominant lineup could give the Dodgers fits, cause they don't have an answer to that, not in their rotation and certainly not in that bullpen, especially if Hong-Chih Kuo is still suffering from a numb hand....Yipes....

Hell, I just want to see the underdog win- Go Rays!