Wednesday, October 8, 2008

You wanna talk playoffs?

Okay, let's talk playoffs.

I noticed a little bit of playoff chatter in Daniel's "What Next?" post, so I figure ... why not get a dedicated thread going for the postseason? Then I punched a wall Carlos Quentin-style for not thinking of it sooner. Damn, that hurts.

Anyway, people accuse us of having all kinds of biases at this site, and you know what? They're right. For example ... fuck the Cubs and their woe-is-me fan base. It sure was fun watching them go down in flames last week. While I'm at it, fuck the Yankees and their fans, too. It's the playoffs, they didn't get in, so I don't want to hear about them until Christmas decorations go up. (You hear me, Daniel? Oh, you're so lucky we invited you to write for this site before we knew you were a Yankees fan. **shudder**)

As for me, I'll be rooting for whichever AL team emerges victorious from the ALCS in the World Series. I'll root for Tampa Bay because they built their team the impressive way (through in-house player development as opposed to passing out checks with bunches of zeroes on them). Or I'll root for Boston because, as a beleaguered Pirates fan, it's nice to see Jason Bay playing for a winner. (Beleaguered Canadians can also get away with this.) I was oh so jazzed to see him score the series-winning run during that ninth-inning play-at-the-plate the other day.

Who comes out of the NL, I care not. Although I will admit to thinking that a Red Sox-Dodgers series could be fun just for the Manny hoopla. I think everyone here agrees Manny's a douchebag, but that doesn't mean watching him face off against his old team wouldn't make for a good show.

Want to keep chatting about the playoffs? That's what the comment section under this post is for. Let's go.

7 comments:

Remis said...

Go Rays. The only Red Sox player I can cheer for is Jason Bay (beleaguered Canadian).

Daniel Aubain said...

@ Bob

The fact that I am a Yankee fan and you weren't aware only further validates me as a knowledgeable fantasy baseball player/writer. I was born and raised in a Yankee family and not until recently did that become something to be "ashamed" to admit.

I don't agree with the economic imbalances of baseball and definitely do not agree with most of the free agent acquisitions and long term deals the Yankees have recently handed out (Giambi, Damon, Mussina, Posada, AROD). I was glad the Yankees didn't "sell the farm" for Johan Santana but was very disappointed they resigned AROD and brought back an aging Posada. I'm just hoping the Yanks let others team invest in guys like CC and Manny and lock up cheaper options like Xavier Nady. Let Mussina go elsewhere to chase 300 wins.

Finally, if I had to pick a team to be a fan of that aligned with my passion for fantasy baseball it would have to be the Oakland Athletics. Gotta love those Moneyball'ers.

Go Rays!

Bob Taylor said...

Fair enough, Daniel. Although you better not put all your faith into the Yankees learning from past mistakes this offseason. Doubt that's going to happen.

Elsewhere ... in the Sox/Rays series, I might find myself rooting for THE PITCHERS. Lester, Shields and Garza were all over my fantasy teams this year. I can't turn on 'em now!

Bob Taylor said...

Some good laughs at the expense of the Cubs on that Saturday Night Live: Weekend Update Thursday edition that aired tonight. Bill Murray's the man. (Even if he is a Cubbies fan.)

Ben Lea, staff Blogger said...

As a formerly-beleaguered White Sox fan (i.e., before 2005 -- we're not so beleaguered any more), I could not have been happier with the Dodgers-Cubs series. One of the highlights of my life was going to a Cubs-Sox game at Comiskey in '02 or so. After the Sox win, Cubs fans started taunting us. (Did I mention the Sox *won* the game?)

Having had enough of it, I looked at one of them and said, "Look, buddy. In the last 90 years, we've *thrown* more World Series than you've won." Shut him up good.

Bob Taylor said...

Quite possibly the greatest verbal comeback of all time, Ben!

I think Cubs fans are more depressed than usual because they knew this had to be their year. Soriano and Lee are now officially past their prime. Ramirez will be joining them soon.

Their pitching is sketchy past Zambrano. Rich Hill apparently vanished from this plane of reality. Ted Lilly? Don't trust him. Ryan Dempster and Kerry Wood are free agents. Can they afford to keep them when they're burying money in the sinkhole known as Kosuke Fukudome? I see they picked up Harden's option for '09. They better hope he stays healthy.

Bob Taylor said...

I love the lede from Jerry Crasnick's ESPN column on last night's game:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The mere act of winning baseball games in October isn't enough for the Boston Red Sox. You get the sense these guys aren't fulfilled unless they leave behind a trail of frayed emotions, crushed spirits and fractured psyches.